Debate between 2 halves
Since this is a monologue, the debate can be between two halves only.
One half: Why should my son be in such a pathetic situation? He completed masters in computer science without any handicap throughout his course. All he is expecting is an entry level formal job in IT. Nope, he is denied that even though there are tons of such jobs. What's the point in studying in such renowned university and earning masters?
Other half: True. He should have got a simple, entry level job. He qualifies academically for one. He is not exceptional but good for any average IT job. He was already selected for such a job in India after finishing his graduation. But isn't it common for foreign students in Australia to be without a job after education? See what is the case with his colleagues in course. Are all employed? Didn't you know that the companies here prefer experienced candidates over fresh graduates? If that is the way businesses think, the outcome is not surprising right?
One Half: Isn't the university responsible in slightest fashion? If the university earns so much from the foreign students, it should help in landing them in right career too. It could establish relationship with industry outside and tailor the course to certain extent to match their needs so that the students aren't considered as liability for training by the employers. There wasn't any industry orientation given to the students. Am I a fool to invest so much in his education and the industry here shrugs off saying, sorry fresh graduate?
Other Half: Yes. The university has failed their accountability. It is not just the question of money spent, it is outcome. Even if the university had charged couple thousand more but ensured that the students become acceptable to the industry, nobody would have minded spending that much more. So this shows the university's attitude of 'we-excel-in-academics-only-don't-expect-anything-more'. If there is a pressure group created by the affected students, the university will have to change in order to survive. In this era of knowledge based economy, education is not just limited to pursuit of pure knowledge but is considered a tool for survival and development of individual. But check once whether there was absolutely nothing in university for these students or your son wasn't aware of university's activities. Coming to your second question, whether you are a fool to invest, it depends upon whether you bet on the right horse! I mean, did you evaluate whether your son was capable to compete in the foreign environment?
One Half: OK, I agree, I bet on the wrong horse. I had evaluated him and was convinced that he was not equipped to survive in foreign country. I tried to convince him at that time to get some work experience in India before jumping the ship. I also alerted him of his lacunae in terms of communication and personal effectiveness. Yet, he persisted on his choice of going abroad. It was difficult for me to pour water on the ambitions of my young one by keeping the fist tight. So, I was not a fool but made a wrong investment due to sentimental compulsion. So, what is the way out now?
Other Half: If the horse can't run the race, let him be a mule and haul any shit that comes on his back. I mean, he has to go through a difficult phase of working as a casual labourer in unorganised sector to earn his living. You tried to alert him but he chose this path. Now he has to pay the price, not you. He says he is willing to go through this, then don't bother him and don't bother yourself either. There are hundreds of such cases in Australia as your son knows and has told you. So, he is not alone. Let him struggle. Let him find his own way, his own guiding light. You spend your time as you had planned earlier as if nothing wrong happened. Or you wind up from here and go back to home if that gives you more solace of mind.
So, let my son be a mule and I just watch as a third person, eh? And what is he facing as being a mule? I will come back for that debate with you....
One half: Why should my son be in such a pathetic situation? He completed masters in computer science without any handicap throughout his course. All he is expecting is an entry level formal job in IT. Nope, he is denied that even though there are tons of such jobs. What's the point in studying in such renowned university and earning masters?
Other half: True. He should have got a simple, entry level job. He qualifies academically for one. He is not exceptional but good for any average IT job. He was already selected for such a job in India after finishing his graduation. But isn't it common for foreign students in Australia to be without a job after education? See what is the case with his colleagues in course. Are all employed? Didn't you know that the companies here prefer experienced candidates over fresh graduates? If that is the way businesses think, the outcome is not surprising right?
One Half: Isn't the university responsible in slightest fashion? If the university earns so much from the foreign students, it should help in landing them in right career too. It could establish relationship with industry outside and tailor the course to certain extent to match their needs so that the students aren't considered as liability for training by the employers. There wasn't any industry orientation given to the students. Am I a fool to invest so much in his education and the industry here shrugs off saying, sorry fresh graduate?
Other Half: Yes. The university has failed their accountability. It is not just the question of money spent, it is outcome. Even if the university had charged couple thousand more but ensured that the students become acceptable to the industry, nobody would have minded spending that much more. So this shows the university's attitude of 'we-excel-in-academics-only-don't-expect-anything-more'. If there is a pressure group created by the affected students, the university will have to change in order to survive. In this era of knowledge based economy, education is not just limited to pursuit of pure knowledge but is considered a tool for survival and development of individual. But check once whether there was absolutely nothing in university for these students or your son wasn't aware of university's activities. Coming to your second question, whether you are a fool to invest, it depends upon whether you bet on the right horse! I mean, did you evaluate whether your son was capable to compete in the foreign environment?
One Half: OK, I agree, I bet on the wrong horse. I had evaluated him and was convinced that he was not equipped to survive in foreign country. I tried to convince him at that time to get some work experience in India before jumping the ship. I also alerted him of his lacunae in terms of communication and personal effectiveness. Yet, he persisted on his choice of going abroad. It was difficult for me to pour water on the ambitions of my young one by keeping the fist tight. So, I was not a fool but made a wrong investment due to sentimental compulsion. So, what is the way out now?
Other Half: If the horse can't run the race, let him be a mule and haul any shit that comes on his back. I mean, he has to go through a difficult phase of working as a casual labourer in unorganised sector to earn his living. You tried to alert him but he chose this path. Now he has to pay the price, not you. He says he is willing to go through this, then don't bother him and don't bother yourself either. There are hundreds of such cases in Australia as your son knows and has told you. So, he is not alone. Let him struggle. Let him find his own way, his own guiding light. You spend your time as you had planned earlier as if nothing wrong happened. Or you wind up from here and go back to home if that gives you more solace of mind.
So, let my son be a mule and I just watch as a third person, eh? And what is he facing as being a mule? I will come back for that debate with you....
Comments
Post a Comment