Just the beginning

I am an introvert. Have been brought up like that - there is no one to share your emotions, because it looks like a weak heart. That makes me put up a brave face in grim situations and a grave face in celebratory occasions. So be it. But that needs me to talk to someone, share with someone who will keep it locked under a seal. Who else other than self? That's why this monologue.

At this age of 53, what is pinching my senses? What is biting my ego? What is hurting my 'I-am-always-right' pride? By the way, I am also painfully surprised that I still keep my ego and caress pride. I wanted to change after I left my career, let go my ego and forget pride. I tried my best. But it seems not enough.

It's the situation my kids are in. You might wonder what's wrong! One kid has completed education in Australia and the other has just embarked upon her higher education in US. It's a moment of pride, satisfaction, jubilation. And so it was for me too, a couple months ago. I had managed the finance so well that I could fund my kid's Australia post graduation without any loan. My future sense of funding required for other kid's undergrad education in US made me even more confident. So much that I travelled to US to accompany my kid to US and stayed for 1 month. Self funded for myself and wife - that's not an easy accomplishment given my mediocre background. Bolstered by this experience, I booked for stay in Australia for 3 months on occasion of graduation ceremony of elder kid. And still financially it sounds a perfect story.But what looks like a miscalculation is the very decision to allow the kids go abroad for education. It looks like a financially stupid investment and moreover, morale destroying outcome for these young ones' start of career life.

So, what has changed within a couple months? The reality outside the university campus has unveiled to the kids and thereby to me. It was all 'ooh' and 'aah' moments during the university period and good academic results also added sweet icing. But outside university, the normal life as an adult is shit for my kid here in Australia. He is simply not qualified to live an average comfortable life. As a student who was most welcome at the beginning of the course, as an adult after completion of course he is discarded in every corner of professional life. The asylum seekers and beggars from the world are welcome here more than him. And what is his sin? He is a learned competitor to the local workforce. The host here has understood that after spending some 80000 dollars, now this student is not going to spend anymore but looking for returns. The host is now giving him a cold shoulder and making semaphores to leave.

Is this justice? Is this a fair treatment of a young soul? Even if you consider this as a trade, is this good deal? That you take so much money from someone promising him a nice future and then at the end shrug him off like a summer bug!

That's the pain. That's the hurt. That's why this monologue. I want to discuss more with you, the other 'myself', question you, debate you. I'll be back.

Comments